Scroll for more

preparing a will preparation of a will estate planning wills estate plan lawyers brisbane queensland

To Will or Not to Will

According to Benjamin Franklin, “In this world nothing can be certain, except death and taxes”. As we all know, there is certainty in the paying of tax, but in the case of death, there seems to be a common misconception that if you don’t have a Will, everything sorts itself out. Wrong. Everything does not sort itself out.

Nowadays, with blended families and the development of superannuation, not having a Will creates difficulties and obstacles for your loved ones. At a time where your loved ones are grieving, disputes with banks, account departments for outstanding pay and leave and superannuation funds is the last thing they wish to deal with, especially if your spouse is dependent upon the release of these funds to survive.

Why do I need a Will?

A Will allows you to document what you would like to occur with your assets after you have passed.

What happens if I do not have a Will?

Upon death, if you do not have a Will, you are said to have died “intestate”. This means that your estate (your assets) will be distributed in accordance with legislation. Each jurisdiction has its own legislation dealing with intestate estates.

Taking Queensland as an example, as a general overview, an intestate estate is distributed as follows:

  • the first $150,000 and all household goods will be distributed to the spouse;
  • the balance of the estate is distributed between the spouse and the children (depending on how many children there are). If there are two or more children, the spouse will receive one third of the balance and the children will share in the remaining two thirds.

What sort of problems may arise if you do not have a Will?

Some of the common problems that I see in intestate estates include:

  • Where the deceased person owns the family home – as the spouse is only entitled to part of the estate, issues arise with the ownership of the family home as the spouse is not entitled to full ownership unless the home is under the value of $150,000. Further issues arise if the children are minors and require independent legal representation to alter the intestacy laws so that the spouse may receive full ownership of the home.
  • It is common for government departments to require a grant of representation from the Court in order to release the deceased person’s pay and leave entitlements to their spouse. However, if the deceased person and their spouse own all their assets jointly, there is often no need for a grant of representation to be obtained. To help resolve this issue, the spouse is generally left with no option but to engage a solicitor to assist in the release of their spouses pay and leave entitlements.

Preparing a Will – how do I do it?

Preparing a Will can be a relatively simple and inexpensive exercise, which offers your loved ones security and certainty in a time of loss and grief.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or would like to discuss preparing a will or any estate planning issues.

Share to your network

The information provided in this article is for general information and educative purposes in summary form on legal topics which is current at the time it is published. The content does not constitute legal advice or recommendations and should not be relied upon as such. Whilst every care has been taken in the preparation of this article, Wills, Estates and Probate Lawyers (WEP Lawyers) cannot accept responsibility for any errors, including those caused by negligence, in the material. We make no representations, statements or warranties about the accuracy or completeness of the information and you should not rely on it. You are advised to make your own independent inquiries regarding the accuracy of any information provided on this website. WEP Lawyers does not guarantee, and accepts no legal responsibility whatsoever arising from or in connection to the accuracy, reliability, currency, correctness or completeness of any material contained in this article. Links to third party websites or articles does not constitute any endorsement or approval of those sites or the owners of those sites. Nothing in this article should be construed as granting any licence or right for you to use that content. You should consult the third party’s terms and conditions of use in relation to any third-party content. WEP Lawyers disclaims all responsibility and all liability (including liability for negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages and costs you might incur as a result of the information being inaccurate or incomplete in any way. Appropriate legal advice should always be obtained in actual situations.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get updates on everything Wills, Estates and Probate.

Written by—

Chloe Kopilovic

Call 07 3035 4077 to speak with our team now